Digital Wellness Day is a global awareness day that celebrates the importance of using technology in a healthy and balanced way. It is a time to reflect on our family’s digital habits and to make changes to ensure that we are using technology in a way that is good for our mental, emotional, and physical health.
As parents and caregivers, we especially want to do everything we can to help our kids thrive online and to build those healthy digital habits. We want them to be safe, to learn and grow, and to have positive experiences. Our app, Canopy, is a vital tool to ensure that they don’t accidentally or intentionally view explicit content online, but it is not a silver bullet that replaces the need for parents to educate themselves about online dangers and learn to communicate with their children about this important topic.
That’s where our partners at Culture Reframed come in. They are a non-profit organization that is tackling online pornography as a public health issue from a science-based perspective. They offer a variety of comprehensive and evidence-based resources to help parents raise healthy digital citizens, including their Parents Program.
The Culture Reframed Parents Program is a free online course that provides parents with the information and tools they need to talk to their kids about pornography and other forms of hypersexualized media. The course covers topics such as:
- The science behind the harm pornography causes to kids
- How to talk to your kids about pornography
- How to set healthy boundaries around internet use
- How to support your kids if they are struggling with pornography use
In addition to the Parents Program, Culture Reframed also offers a variety of other resources for parents, including:
- A blog with articles on a variety of topics related to digital wellness
- A video library on vital topics regarding your child’s online activities, broken down by age group
- An academic library for those who want to delve even deeper into the wealth of academic research on the effects of pornography
If you are looking for ways to celebrate Digital Wellness Day, we encourage you to check out the resources offered by Culture Reframed. They are a valuable resource for parents who want to raise healthy digital citizens.
For more information, please visit their website at www.culturereframed.org.