You want to block adult websites on your phone and I’ve scoured the internet for every way to do so.
The result? This list of the 4 best methods (these all work as of June 2023 – Verified!)
In this piece, I share with you:
- Method 1 (my top pick): Permanently blocking adult websites with Canopy
- Method 2: iPhone’s settings to restrict adult content
- Method 3: Android’s SafeSearch
- Method 4: Adjusting router settings for a whole-house safety net
By the end of this guide, you’ll have a clear map to create your sanctuary of safe browsing.
Best Method Overall: Block Adult Content Forever With Canopy—a Comprehensive Parental Control App and Porn Blocker
Method: Canopy is a parental control app with features that block websites and filter out nudity from the web. You can use it to block websites permanently across multiple devices.
Benefits: Canopy gives you 100% control over how you or your child experiences the internet. It has real-time blocking of explicit imagery, adult content, and other control features that protect your online well-being.
Why it’s the best: Once a website is blocked with Canopy, it stays blocked, unless you decide otherwise. You hold the reins – and that’s how it should be. It also works across all devices (phones, tablets, browsers—no matter the brand).
Block Adult Websites on Your Phone with Canopy
1. Get Started: Begin by creating a Canopy account. A free trial link is available for new users.
2. Install the Canopy App: Download and install the Canopy app on the device you wish to safeguard from undesired content.
3. Set Up Protection Filters: Once Canopy is installed, it’s time to customize your protection filters. For this, log into the Canopy web dashboard or use the Canopy app. The beauty of Canopy lies in its versatility—it works seamlessly across all your devices, whether mobile, tablet, or desktop.
4. Choose Your Device: On the dashboard, choose the device you want to protect, go into Protection Settings, and then select Advanced Filtering.
5. Add the Website: Ensure the Websites tab is selected. Next, click on the + Add Website button at the top right corner. This action will open a new window.
6. Block the Website: In the new window, enter the URL of the website you want to block permanently. Select your preferred filtering level, then hit the Save button.
Method 2: Harnessing iPhone’s Built-in Features for Permanent Blocks
Method: Use your iPhone’s built-in content controls to keep adult websites at bay.
Benefits: It’s convenient and cost-effective, utilizing tools already at your disposal. You won’t need to download anything to your phone and the block remains for as long as you have the device.
Why it’s not number one: While handy, iPhone’s built-in settings can be circumvented with some tech-savvy tricks, making them less secure. In contrast, Canopy’s iron-clad blocking capabilities leave no room for sneaky workarounds. It’s also only relevant for iPhone users whereas Canopy works whether you use Apple or Android.
Block Adult Websites on Your iPhone with Its Built-in settings
Let’s see how I used the iPhone’s settings to set up a permanent block:
Head to Settings: Open your iPhone’s settings and scroll down to ‘Screen Time’.
1. Open Settings: Go to your iPhone’s ‘Settings’, then tap on ‘Screen Time’.
2. Enable Screen Time: If not already turned on, enable ‘Screen Time’. This feature allows you to monitor and control your phone usage.
3. Access Content & Privacy Restrictions: Click on ‘Content & Privacy Restrictions’. If it’s your first time accessing this feature, you might have to set up a passcode.
4. Enable Content & Privacy: Tap ‘Content and Privacy Restrictions’ to turn on the feature.
5. Open Content Restrictions: Tap ‘Content Restrictions’, then ‘Web Content’
6. Choose Limit Adult Websites: Here, you’ll see the ‘Limit Adult Websites’ option. By enabling it, your phone will block many adult websites automatically.
7. Add Specific Websites: To permanently block specific adult websites, you can add their URLs under the ‘NEVER ALLOW’ section.
Method 3: Utilizing Android’s SafeSearch Filter for a Permanent Block on Adult Websites
Android user? Here’s a method just for you.
Method: Use Android’s SafeSearch setting to effectively block adult websites from your smartphone. Really it’s Google’s SafeSearch setting but Google and Android go hand-in-hand.
Benefits: It’s a built-in feature, making it easy to activate without any additional downloads or costs.
Where it falls short: SafeSearch is not foolproof. Some explicit content might slip through the cracks. Additionally, tech-savvy users might find ways to disable SafeSearch.
It also only filters your search results. You can navigate to websites and bypass the security feature by entering the URL directly. That’s why Canopy stands out for Android users and iPhone users alike.
Block Adult Websites on Your Android Phone
Here’s how I set up SafeSearch on my Android device:
1. Open Chrome App: Start by opening the Chrome app on your Android phone.
2. Enter the SafeSearch URL: Type ‘https://www.google.com/safesearch’ into your search bar.
3. Toggle SafeSearch On: Look to see if SafeSearch is toggled on or off. If it’s off, toggle it on.
4. Make Sure Your Google Account is Right: With SafeSearch, its features only apply to the Google account you’ve turned it on for.
Make sure your Android is logged into the right Google account. Especially if you turned your SafeSearch on via a computer as I did!
And there you have it.
Remember, this is a Google-specific setting and might not be effective in other browsers or apps. If you’re looking for a truly fail-safe and comprehensive solution, Canopy’s powerful filters deliver consistent results across all apps and browsers. You can try it for yourself here.
Want to learn more? We have a whole guide on blocking websites for Android phones.
Method 4: Applying Router Settings to Establish a Permanent Barrier to Adult Websites
Method: Set up your home router to block adult websites for every device that connects to your WiFi.
Benefits: It’s an all-encompassing solution that doesn’t require changes on individual devices. Plus, it’s generally a free feature provided by your Internet Service Provider (ISP).
Why it doesn’t top the list: Though it sounds like a fantastic one-and-done approach, router settings are notoriously complex to maneuver. Also, this block only works at home.
As soon as a device connects to a different network, adult websites become accessible again.
In comparison, Canopy’s filters are with you wherever you go, providing consistent protection.
Block Adult Websites on Your Phone at the Router Level
This one requires some technical knowledge and the steps will need to be adapted to your specific router.
Here’s a rough step-by-step process you can follow to block websites using router settings:
1. Access Your Router’s Admin Page: Typically, this involves typing the IP address of your router into your browser’s address bar. This information is usually printed on the router itself or found in the router’s manual.
2. Login: Enter your admin username and password. If you haven’t changed these from the defaults, check your router’s manual for the original credentials.
3. Locate Website Blocking Settings: This varies greatly by router manufacturer. Usually, you’ll find these settings in a ‘Security’, ‘Parental Controls’, or ‘Firewall’ section.
4. Enter the URLs to Block: Once you locate the website blocking settings, enter the URLs of the adult websites you wish to block.
5. Save your settings: Make sure you save what you’ve done and add every site you want to block.
This solution is limited to your home WiFi and can be quite complex to set up. If you’re looking for an effortless, portable solution that goes where you go, Canopy is a trustworthy ally, providing you with lasting and reliable protection.
All 4 Method’s at a Glance
Easy to set up with guided tutorials
Blocks adult content across multiple categories
Extends to all devices connected to your Canopy account
2. iPhone Settings
Requires diving into iPhone settings
May not block all adult content
Only applies to the iPhone where settings are changed
3. Android Settings
Requires using your Google account
Limited to blocking adult content only, and limited to search results
Only applies to the Google account where settings are changed
4. Router Settings
Requires understanding of your router’s settings
High, can block adult content across the network
Extends to all devices connected to your network
Understanding the Impact of Adult Content: More Than Meets the Eye
When it comes to adult content, it’s not just about explicit images or risqué websites. It’s a much broader issue with tangible consequences.
The Addictive Nature
Adult content can have an addictive quality. There’s often a release of dopamine, a neurotransmitter associated with pleasure and reward. Over time, frequent consumption can lead to tolerance, requiring more frequent or intense material for the same dopamine hit. Not too different from other addictions, right?
When it comes to porn, there’s a risk of developing unrealistic expectations about intimacy, leading to dissatisfaction in real-world relationships. This can cause distress, frustration, and misunderstandings.
Many adult sites can be breeding grounds for malware, phishing scams, and other cybersecurity threats. It’s like venturing into a dark alley late at night—you never quite know what you might run into.
Impact on Kids
The average age at which a child first encounters explicit content online is alarmingly young, with effects ranging from confusion and shock to more serious psychological impacts.
It’s like giving them a book to read in a language they don’t understand – it’s confusing and potentially distressing.
The Children’s Commissioner wrote, “Children who see pornography for the first time at age 11 or younger are likely to have lower self-esteem as young adults.” They also reported that 27% had seen porn by age 11.
All these factors highlight the importance of blocking adult websites on your devices. And that’s where Canopy shines, providing a comprehensive shield against explicit content, protecting your digital well-being, and helping to nurture healthier online experiences.
Further Reading and Resources: Your Roadmap to a Safer Internet
If you’re blocking adult websites on your phone, you may be interested in some of our other blocking guides:
- How to block porn
- How to block specific websites
- How to block porn Android
- Porn blocker for adults
- 11 best parental control apps
- 7 best porn blockers
- How to block porn mac
- How to block porn iOS
And here are some resources to help you understand the impact of adult websites:
- How porn affects relationships
- Impact of seeing porn on children
- Effects of porn on teens
- Effects of porn on the brain
Knowledge is your first line of defense, and Canopy is here to support you every step of the way.