Looking to block adult content on your iPhone and iPad? I’ve been there, done that.
Here are the methods I’ve found that work (in order of effectiveness):
- Method 1 (the best overall): Using Canopy (Parental Control App and Porn Blocker)
- Method 2: Utilizing iPhone and iPad built-in settings (free)
- Method 3: Deploying third-party browser extensions
- Method 4: Tweaking router settings
In this guide, I’ll explain exactly how to use these methods to block adult content.
Best Method Overall: Canopy (a Parental Control App and Porn Blocker)
Here is the method, the benefits, and step-by-step for blocking adult content with Canopy.
As a parental control app and a porn blocker for adults, Canopy delivers a comprehensive solution to your digital concerns. It blocks access to adult content and filters explicit images from websites you wouldn’t suspect—the app gives you full control and even intervenes to stop sexting
This is by far my favorite method because of how comprehensive it is.
Canopy’s power lies in the control it offers. Not only does it allow you to block specific websites on your iPhone, but it also provides real-time filtering of inappropriate content across all your devices.
The app also offers the ability to limit screen time, has location alerts, and sexting prevention.
Why it’s number one:
Canopy goes beyond just being an app. It’s an instrument for fostering better digital habits and a safer online environment. With its removal prevention feature, you can secure your progress and avoid accidental exposure to blocked content.
How to Block Adult Content on iPhone and iPad with Canopy (Step-by-Step)
I followed these simple steps to leverage Canopy’s content-blocking and filtering capabilities:
1. Sign up for a Canopy account: Start with a free trial to explore its features.
2. Download the Canopy for Kids app: Install this on your iPhone. Despite its name, it’s just as effective for adults.
3. Set up protection filters: Log into the Canopy web dashboard or open the Canopy app on your device. Select ‘Protection Settings’, then ‘Advanced Filtering’.
4. Block specific websites: In the dashboard, navigate to the ‘Websites’ tab. Click the ‘+ Add Website’ button to open a new window where you can specify the site to block.
5. Enter the URL of the website you want to block: Choose your preferred filtering level, and click ‘Save’.
And there you have it! You’ve successfully blocked adult websites on your iPhone using Canopy.
Additional resources to help you in your journey to blocking adult content
You can also read about the effects of quitting porn.
They can reinforce your decision to restrict access to adult content on your iPhone and iPad. And that can be helpful when building new online habits or enforcing controls on your family’s digital consumption.
Watch the video below to learn more about Canopy’s app and how it blocks adult content in real time. That means as search results and websites come up on your screen, inappropriate images are filtered out.
Method 2: Using iOS (iPhone & iPad) Parental Control Features & Settings to Block Adult Content
Here is the method, benefits and step-by-steps for blocking adult content with Iphone & iPad settings.
iPhones and iPads come with built-in parental control features, allowing you to restrict access to specific types of content, including adult content. I find this a good solution for those who want super basic restrictions for their device and don’t mind the manual input of each website you want blocked.
One of the main advantages of using iOS’s built-in parental control features is that there’s no need for additional software or apps. It’s already integrated into your device’s operating system, providing an immediate solution for content filtering.
Comparison with Canopy (and why it’s number two):
While the parental control features in iOS are effective, they might not provide the same level of comprehensive protection as Canopy.
Canopy provides real-time filtering, which not only blocks explicit websites but also detects and filters explicit content within other sites. Canopy even extends its coverage to all devices, while iOS parental controls are device-specific.
Also, you (or your child) can undo the block whereas a tool like Canopy has removal prevention.
How to Block Adult Content on Your iPhone or iPad Using iOS Parental Control Features (Step-by-Step)
Here are the simple steps you can follow to block content like porn on your iOS iPhone or iPad.
1. Open Settings: From your iPhone, go to ‘Settings’ and then tap on ‘Screen Time’.
2. Turn on Screen Time: If it isn’t activated, you’ll need to follow the prompts to set it up.
3. Access Content & Privacy Restrictions: Once Screen Time is enabled, tap ‘Content & Privacy Restrictions’.
4. Enable Content & Privacy: If not already turned on, tap the switch to activate it.
6. Access Content Restrictions: Select ‘Content Restrictions’, then ‘Web Content’.
7. Choose Limit Adult Websites: In the ‘Web Content’ section, select ‘Limit Adult Websites’. Your iPhone will now block many adult websites automatically.
8. Add Specific Websites to the Blocked List: If there are specific adult websites you want to block, you can add them manually. Tap ‘Add Website’ under ‘NEVER ALLOW’ and input the URL.
Remember, this method will only block adult content on the specific iPhone or iPad which you’ve applied these settings. If you want a more holistic solution that applies to all your devices and filters out adult content in real-time, consider using Canopy.
Related read: How to Block YouTube on iPad
Method 3: Using a Safe Browser App to Block Adult Content on iPhone
Here is the method, benefits and step-by-steps for blocking adult content with Safe Browser.
Safe browser apps are third-party applications designed to provide a secure and controlled browsing experience. These apps often have built-in filters to block explicit content, making them suitable for children or for adults wanting to avoid adult content.
These apps are often straightforward to set up and use. They can provide a level of protection against adult content without having to adjust complicated settings.
Comparison with Canopy (and why it’s number three):
While safe browsers can be effective at blocking explicit content, they’re limited to just the browser. They can’t filter content across all apps or websites viewed in different browsers on the device.
In contrast, Canopy provides protection across all devices and browsers tied to your account.
How to Block Adult Content Using a Safe Browser App (Step-by-Step)
1. Choose a Safe Browser App: Search for a safe browser app on the App Store. Some popular choices include “SPIN Safe Browser” or “Safe Surfer.”
2. Download and Install: Once you’ve made your choice, download and install the app on your iPhone or iPad.
3. Set Up Filters: Open the app and follow the on-screen instructions to set up the filters. Each app may have different settings, but generally, you will find options to block adult content.
4. Use the Safe Browser for Web Surfing: Make sure to use the safe browser app whenever you’re surfing the web. Remember, the app’s filters won’t apply if you use a different browser.
For an all-in-one solution that covers more than just a single web browser, consider using Canopy or the built-in settings of your iPhone or iPad.
Method 4: Router Settings
Changing your router’s settings to filter out adult content on iPhone & iPad is another approach you can take. I find this one a bit extreme compared to the others and technical but that might be what you’re looking for.
Routers are the gateways to the internet at home, and many modern routers have built-in settings or support third-party services that can filter out adult content.
Implementing content filters at the router level can ensure all devices connected to your network are subject to the same protections. This includes not just iPhones and iPads, but also other devices like Android phones, laptops, and smart TVs.
Why it might not be the best:
This method is more technical and may require a deeper understanding of networking concepts. It also only protects your use of the internet and technology while connected to the router.
This leaves you exposed outside of your home or if connected to data. And that can happen often.
How to Block Adult Content on Your iPhone & iPad Using Router Settings (Step-by-Step)
1. Access Router Settings: I accessed my router settings by typing in my router’s IP address in a web browser. This address is often found on the router itself or in the manual.
2. Login: Use your router’s admin credentials to log in. These are also usually provided with the router or set when you first installed it.
3. Navigate to Content Filtering Settings: This can vary between router models, but it’s often under ‘Security’, ‘Parental Controls’, or a similar menu.
4. Set Up Filters: You can usually set up filters to block adult or inappropriate content. Some routers also allow you to block specific websites.
5. Save Changes: Apply and save your changes before exiting.
Changing your router settings is only a partial solution. With Canopy, you get a finely-tuned balance of control and flexibility in protecting your devices from adult content.
What Is ‘Adult Content’ and Why Is It Worth Blocking?
Adult content refers to explicit material intended for individuals over the age of 18. This can include pornography, violent games, gambling sites, and certain social media platforms.
Let’s dive into these categories further:
Online pornography is widely accessible and often free. Pornography and nudity are usually what people mean when they reference adult content.
Exposure to it can have damaging effects, especially on young minds. It can distort views about sexuality and relationships, and lead to addiction in some cases. Blocking access to these sites can lead to healthier internet usage.
Violent Video Games
Some video games portray graphic violence, explicit language, and mature themes not suitable for younger audiences. Limiting access to them helps protect children from potentially disturbing and harmful content.
And there’s nothing wrong with limiting consumption as an adult. Our psychology can be influenced our whole life and too much exposure to violence can harm our outlook and interactions.
Online Gambling Sites
Gambling websites can be addictive and financially damaging. These sites are often rife with scams and deceptive practices. Blocking them can protect vulnerable individuals from gambling addictions and financial hardship.
If that sounds like you, you should look to add gambling sites to your blocked websites on your chosen method of blocking adult content.
Certain Social Media Platforms
While social media can be a way to connect with others, it can also expose users to adult content, cyberbullying, and harmful misinformation. Blocking or limiting use of certain platforms can reduce these risks.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I block adult content on my child’s phone?
Blocking adult content on your child’s phone can be achieved using built-in parental controls in iOS, installing parental control apps like Canopy, or configuring your network settings if you have control over your WiFi network.
For a comprehensive, hassle-free solution, consider Canopy, which can block specific websites and filter out inappropriate content across all connected devices.
How do I block 18+ content on my phone?
You can block 18+ content on your phone by using built-in parental controls in iOS or Android, employing browser extensions or add-ons, or using a content-filtering app like Canopy.
Do Apple parental controls turn off at 18?
Apple parental controls do not automatically turn off when the child reaches 18.
However, if a child’s Apple ID is set up through Family Sharing and they reach the age of 18 (or the age of majority in their country), they can choose to leave Family Sharing, which will remove any parental controls.
How do I block inappropriate searches on my phone?
Inappropriate searches can be blocked by using a content-filtering tool like Canopy. It works across browsers on your phone and other devices for comprehensive protection.
It is capable of blocking image results from search engines and websites in real time.
Other step-by-step guides for blocking content on different software and devices
If you’re blocking content on your iPhone and iPad you may also be interested in our other guides to blocking content across devices and softwares: